Hair loss problems occur in people of all ages due to a variety of factors, such as lifestyle changes, poor diet and lack of hair care. Excessive stress exacerbates hair loss.
In addition to hereditary problems, health problems and lack of a hair care routine, excessive smoking can also cause hair loss. Excessive smoking and alcohol consumption can cause irreversible damage to the body. Smoking constricts the blood vessels that are designed to deliver nutrients such as vitamins and minerals, as well as oxygen, to the hair follicles.
The main cause of hair loss is inactive or dead hair follicles. Smoking causes your hair follicles to not get the nutrients they need and die over time, leading to hair loss. Once the hair follicles are damaged, it becomes difficult to regrow new hair or even to continue the growth of existing hair. Due to the toxic substances in cigarettes, excessive smoking can completely disrupt your hair growth cycle.
Read these articles on our platform to find out the effects of smoking on your hair and learn more about hair loss and hair re-growth.
Will my hair grow back if I stop smoking?
Smoking causes hair loss by restricting the proper flow of blood and nutrients to the hair follicle. If you decide to quit smoking, your blood vessels will no longer shrink and your hair follicles will become active and healthy again.
Therefore, it is possible to regrow your hair by stopping smoking. The process of rejuvenation in the body takes place when the harmful toxins from cigarettes are abstained from. Quitting smoking is actually the best way to reverse the damage it causes and try to grow healthy hair again.
However, if you do not notice a significant change even after quitting smoking, you should see a specialist. The cause of your hair loss may be due to another medical reason, which needs to be identified as soon as possible. Hair experts, specialists, hair doctors and hair surgeons can help you regrow your hair using many medical and surgical as well as non-surgical methods.
Does smoking make your hair thin?
If with every cigarette smoked the question arises: 'Does smoking cause hair loss?", the answer is yes. Sometimes smoking may not be so harmful, but if you are a habitual smoker, you are causing significant damage not only to your lungs, but also to your hair.
Why smoking causes hair loss:
- Poor circulation: The toxins produced by smoking cause blood vessels to constrict, which restricts the flow of essential nutrients such as vitamins, minerals and oxygen to the hair follicle, compromising its health. Healthy and strong hair can only be obtained when the hair follicles are active.
Therefore, without the necessary nutrients from the blood, the hair follicles die and the hair growth cycle is disrupted, leading to significant hair loss.
- Weak immune system: Smoking makes it harder for the body to circulate blood, leading to many problems. As the scalp lacks the necessary nutrients, excessive sebum production can also occur, which can lead to dandruff and other scalp infections. These infections can exacerbate hair loss problems.
- Pollutants: smoking is harmful not only for smokers but also for passive smokers because of the harmful pollutants in cigarettes. During smoking, pollutants such as nicotine and cotinine are released into the air and can be deposited in the hair shaft. Exposure to polluted air can cause serious damage to the hair structure.
In addition, the alkaline nature of the toxins released from cigarettes can also interfere with the pH level of the scalp, which affects hair growth.
If a genetic hair loss, smoking can exacerbate the problem. Carcinogens found in the polluted air from smoking can even block the production of proteins needed for hair growth.
We can therefore conclude that smoking is associated with hair loss. As smoking can affect the health of your hair in a number of ways, you should try to quit this harmful habit, no matter how difficult it may be for you.
Will quitting smoking help my hair?
Smoking affects hair growth and health in many direct and indirect ways. After quitting this harmful habit, you will see positive changes. However, this does not mean that you will not have to take care of your hair health in order to speed up the process of hair growth.
It is very useful to use some natural products, such as aloe vera gel in the hair, which helps to clean the hair follicles and avoid dandruff. You should also make sure that your hair is provided with essential nutrients, both internally and externally, so that it can grow quickly. It is also recommended that you massage coconut oil or another suitable oil into your scalp daily to improve the blood circulation that is impaired by smoking.
Here are some ways to ensure hair growth after quitting smoking:
- A balanced diet. A balanced diet is essential for hair growth. Eat a balanced diet rich in vitamins A, C and D, zinc, iron and protein to ensure faster hair growth. Taking these vitamins not only affects your hair healthbut will also give you strong immunity against disease.
- Hair care routine. In addition to eating healthy, you also need to provide external nutrients for your hair. To improve blood circulation, make it a habit to massage your scalp for 5 minutes at least twice a week. You should also use hair masks and conditioners to moisturise and nourish your hair.
- Avoid stressful situations. Stress is one of the main causes of excessive causes of hair loss. Stress requires you to do activities such as yoga and meditation. This will not only help improve the health of your hair, but will also help you avoid the temptation of smoking. Natural herbs including ashwagandha, Shatavari, Bala and ginseng can also help in the detoxification process. In addition, you can eat 1 teaspoon of ajwain and cinnamon or 2-3 basil leaves to resist the temptation to smoke.
The above are Ayurvedic and natural remedies that can help resist the temptation to smoke. However, if these remedies do not seem to be effective for hair growth, a hair specialist should be consulted immediately for diagnosis and hair growth.
How long does it take for hair to grow back after quitting smoking?
The time needed varies from person to person for hair regrowth after quitting. This depends largely on the condition of the hair follicles and the intensity of the damage. Generally speaking, you should be able to see a significant difference within 6 months if proper hair care is followed.
However, there may be cases where hair follicles are completely damaged or almost dead. It will take longer to cure this situation. The treatment you receive will also depend on the intensity of the damage that has already occurred. In case your hair follicles are only dormant, you can regrow your hair using natural means. However, if the hair follicles are dead, you may need specialised medical attention.
Many medical treatments can help restore damaged hair. These include medicated shampoos and medications, as well as other treatments. You can also have surgical treatments, such as, hair transplantationif the situation cannot be controlled in any other way.
It is important to consult a specialist as soon as possible to diagnose hair loss problems and start appropriate treatment. The sooner you start treatment, the better results you can expect. Smoking causes hair loss, but it's never too late to quit and start the right treatment to cure your hair loss problems.
The experienced and skilled specialists and surgeons at Rubenhair Clinic can offer solutions for all your hair problems. For many years we have been offering our clients high quality hair transplants Procedures.
"WhatsApp: +371 26777776
Get a free online consultation!
I agree to the processing of personal data terms and conditionsGet advice!
Rubenhair Latvia hair transplant clinic performs high-quality hair transplantation, eyebrow transplantation with manual FUE and seamless methods, as well as hair treatment procedures. All services offered at Rubenhair Latvia are certified, safe and recognised in the Republic of Latvia and the European Union. The services are performed by diploma and certified doctors as well as medical staff with appropriate professional education and professional skills. Certified, modern equipment and only tested and certified preparations are used for the procedures. Rubenhair Latvia is a fully certified and licensed medical clinic in Latvia and the European Union and is registered in the Register of Medical Institutions of the Health Inspectorate of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Latvia with registration number 010001474.